Thursday, June 12, 2014

Juan y Inez, Narrative #2

I have noticed since arriving that there are two main reactions to English speaking Americans in Spain. The first type, though less common, are those who are annoyed with us simply for being American. I know that we are a stereotype in the minds of many Spanish people, and it is frustrating for me to be seen as such when I know that I am so much more. I know that Americans are often considered to be noisy, disrespectful, entitled, and oblivious. This is true for some, however, I know that there are also a great deal of Americans who travel with the intent of receiving their host country's culture with an eager and open mind. Yet, at the same time I feel guilty and ashamed that my country has earned such a horrible reputation that I know is partially true. I want to prove the people who look down on Americans wrong, to show them that I want to be educated in Spanish culture and history and maybe share some things about myself as well. It is crushing to be judged and dismissed as a "silly American" before given the chance. Yet, at the same time, I see that we, as Americans got our reputation as being entitled by treating much of the world as beneath us. We have done the same thing to others as is now being done to us. It is enlightening to be under such scrutiny when I am so used to being comfortable with my citizenship back home.

The other Spanish welcome I have received greatly makes up for the first. I have come across many individuals who are genuinely interested in me and where I am from, what I am doing, and how I have liked Spain so far. I have never seen such kindness from strangers before, even from ones I meet in the states. It makes me realize what beautiful people the Spanish are, and I admire their curiosity and passion for living. Two days ago I met an elderly couple and spoke to them for a few short moments on the metro. The woman sat down in the seat next to me, and I moved to let the man sit as well but he shushed me and told me, "no no, estas consada. (you are tired)." I told him I was a student and he said he knew that already. When he heard Vivian say she was in Segovia for the weekend he said that he used to live there, then he asked where I was from. When I said Colorado, him and his wife broke into smiles. They excitedly told me that they were married in Colorado and spent 19 years living in Chicago. They loved America, but mostly they said they loved its diversity, as they roadtripped together across the states. I couldn't express enough to them how wonderful it was to me to hear this opinion of the states. What they told me then was very wise. They told me that so much of the time, people look at one side of a person and think that it is everything. They do not see the many sides. Juan lived in Spain his whole life and never went to the Prado, it was a whole side of Spain he never knew. He lived in the states for 2 decades, and in the time he saw enough to always change his way of looking at life and people. He told me that one can never know everything about a place or person because life is always changing. When him and his wife, Inez moved home to Spain, they visited every city, every monument, and every place they ever wanted to see and they could not be happier.

My absolute favorite thing so far has been seeing Flamenco at Casa Patas



1 comment: